2008-09-22

Duck House ~ "How To Tips Part IV"

The first day of "fall", we had our first frost. The second day of "fall" we had our first freeze. This morning at 0900 when I went to work, the temperature was improving, but still a balmy 36 degrees. During the first couple of hours, the thermos of coffee was perfect but by noon, it was back to shirt sleeve weather.

Finished up the framing today, the four walls are now standing and squared. I can fully appreciate that it is much easier to place the siding on the walls and then stand them, however, working with a "short crew", it is really not an option especially when you have to build them "off site" and carry them to the construction site. Squaring things up required a little ingenuity, I know some prefer to use a "coffin jack", an option that I had available to me, however, I chose the "Old Navy" (1960'era) method of putting a strain on an object called a "Mexican Windless". All you need is one piece of line, doubled up and a object to twist it to the desired tension. In this situation, I used a nylon line and a stub end of a 2" x 4" as the windless (pictured across the front of the framing). It worked perfectly and the alders that I was using as an anchor remained rooted. If it is not raining come first light, the next step will be to side the frame and move on to the cutting and installing the rafters. If a certain person who was the Foreman on the the "Cabin II Project" is wondering, yes! I got the California corners installed on the right side and even remembered to nail them completely instead of free floating them. Having fun, putting a few "tricks of the trade" that I learned this summer to use and discovering others.

6 comments:

Heidi said...

WOW.... you have been busy! Nice looking building... sure it isn't a shower house? cool little trick with the rope... you are genius!

john r mclay said...

Agreed - nice structure.
Looking forward to making a deposit in the Alder Bank.

Stan Harrington said...

Heidi - what are you doing up at 2:04 am your time? I think in actuality it was really 1:04 am but that is still late for you. You grasped the concept, if and when interior plumbing and septic systems is installed for cabins, the new structure can easily be converted to a shower house including room for a sink. A half sheet of plywood to finish covering the flooring, remove the bench and it is ready for installation of plumbing. The seven P's have been included in the planning. Now if it would just quit raining, I might get it completed before the snow falls. I could have had it finished by now if it were not for fall showers.

Stan Harrington said...

Yesterday (Wed): Rain
Last Evening (Wed): Rain
Today (Thur): Rain
Today (Thur 0945): Rain ~ Pumping

Heidi said...

Don't worry it should clear up... why don't you help mom finish that bear puzzle, I think she has been working on it all summer.

Stan Harrington said...

The bear puzzle is near completion! I saw a touch of blue sky and evena ray of sun this morning - not a drop of rain so I am out of here so I can get a day of work in before the Presidential Debates this eveing.

Post a Comment