2009-01-02

Eyes In The Dark

On New Year's Day, I ventured outside just prior to daylight to let the dogs do their thing. Immediately, "Ruger" started barking and headed to rim overlooking the Hole In The Wall. Of course, his reaction alerted "Goldie" and "Dutch" so they had to join Ruger on the rim. It was not a casual "moose alert" or an imaginary object bark, they were upset at something.

Thinking perhaps that the Wolf Clan had returned from their "wilderness trek" and were in their cabin, I walked over to the rim. Ruger was not in sight, but Goldie and Dutch were still barking. Not seeing any lights on in the cabin, I returned to the house to get a flash light. Returning to the rim, Dutch and Goldie had also ventured into the basin. Turning the flashlight on, I immediately picked up the eyes of all three dogs by the gazebo and looking into the trees by the Bear Den.

After screaming a lot, I finally got all three dogs to return to the rim while I continued trying to see what they were so upset about. I thought I had caught a glimpse of something moving through the trees and definitely picked up a set of eyes reflected in my light beam.

Returning to the house, I made my morning coffee and watched the morning news but still wondering what had upset them so much. Deciding I would check it out further when daylight arrived. I went out to start my truck and again all three dogs headed to the rim and started the same type of barking, but would not go down the bluff and into the campground. Walking over to the edge where they were standing, I did see something moving through the trees. First thought was a dog or perhaps a coyote, but it was moving more gracefully. Putting the dogs back in the house and grabbing my camera, I jumped into my truck and headed for the campground.

Pulling up in front of gazebo, I remained in the truck and watched the tree line alongside the Bear Den, where I had last spotted the intruder. Nothing was moving as far as I could tell. Getting out of the truck and just as I turned to walk towards the cabin, I saw something move behind a tree and disappear. It never came out from behind the tree! Reaching back into the truck, I got my camera, checked the settings and started walking slowly to the spot that I saw the creature disappear. I was watching the ground level area, that is where I made my mistake. The next thing I heard was a high pitched growl, the hair on the back on my neck literally rose on end. I have never had that sensation before. I heard it first but all the time I felt I was being watched. It was only then that I happened to glance up, I only had time to get one quick shot with camera before it was out of the tree and disappeared into the growth. It was an animal that I had never seen before. I remained in the campground for another hour hoping that it would return, it did not.

Later in the day I returned with the dogs, they immediately went to the spot where I had sighted the animal but never barked or reacted to any scent. Returning home, I got on the Internet and surprisingly discovered the identity of the creature, much to my surprise. See if you can identify the animal, sorry that I did not get a full body shot of the animal. It was fast!


I called the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, I do not think they believed me nor the description of the animal that I saw. Unless, someone can convince me other wise, this is a genuine Snow Leopard that I captured on my camera. The Snow Leopard is not indigenous to North America let alone Alaska. One can only guess where this Snow Leopard originated or how it found it's way to the Hole In The Wall Recreational Area.

Further research revealed that two Snow Leopard cubs were born at the Alaska Zoo, (see above link, 2nd Paragraph on linked site), but reportedly these two cubs died shortly after birth or did they? What other explanation could there be for a Snow Leopard being spotted at the Hole In The Wall Recreational Area?

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Snow Leopards in camp? how cool is that! I thought you were going to tell us you saw a chupacabra!

john r mclay said...

The Canadian Cougars tipped them off!
If it IS a chupacabra, just be sure to set pickle chips out...and a goat

Stan Harrington said...

Did not see any chupacabras, but I did see a blackbra. Think it was one of those military experiments, the cups were filled with water, I can only assume it was some type of new undercover canteen developed for the Army. I wonder if my grandson was issued one? Have no concept why a plumma would need one, I guess so they can have water to make an instant latte while on the job.

Shana said...

Maybe he migrated to clear out the GIANT rodents that have made residence...could you go open my camper door...he should take care of the camper guests I acquired last summer....

Post a Comment