2009-12-03

Winter Wonderland

Our first winter storm hit us on Tuesday, December 1st. Since then, I have been moving the evidence around and placing it large berms. Fortunately, the weather cleared and despite the "cool" temperatures, it was an enjoyable task but tiring. Went to work on the "Hole In The Wall" today and completed just as the sun was setting over the Inlet. Myself and my two helpers were tired, but home in time to make a couple of Thanksgiving turkey sandwiches and a slice of each Pumpkin and Mincemeat Pie. All in time, to sit down and enjoy the 1st Round of the National Finals, live from Las Vegas. How tired was I, I remember the first two team ropers (first event)and woke up to some bowling tournament. I love the rodeo finals and I slept through them, but that is o.k., they will be re-broadcast tomorrow. However, I was not as tired as one of my two "plowing buddies". He has now decided that he likes my recliner.


Although, I spent the last two days "snow plowing", perhaps a better term would be "snow grooming". It is looking good. Several things of note, if anyone is planning to spend a little winter time at the Hole In The Wall, bring your ice skates. The base of the "bowl" area is a very nice, clean, smooth coating of ice, one to two inches thick. The slopes are ideal for snow boarding, just don't let the "snow monsters" get you. "Private Drive" is ideal for sledding from the top to the Old Sterling Highway.
However, there are special closures. "Grannies Gulch" is closed until further notice due to avalanche conditions and downed alders. "Messican Lane" is closed at the west entrance due to winter storage area for snow. Access is still provided from the east entrance. "Bronco Lane" is open and now smoother than it is during the summer months, winter tires recommended. Bowl area is open with no snow berms, winter tires recommeded.
Access to the "Duck House" is not available, until someone gets a shovel to work.
Although, we have a lot of alders laid over with the snow load, the sad news is that the "Tiger Tree" between the Bear Den and Wolf Den has been severely damaged due to the snow load. One of the primary limbs on the tree was broken off under the stress of snow. We can perhaps save it or perhaps it would be a good location for a couple of apple trees.
Wildlife are present in the area, no sign of any "mean" creatures but the snow bunnies are running wild. I think perhaps the "Lynx" have went south to Las Vegas to see the rodeo. The increase in the number of sightings of the "snow monsters" will possibly decrease the bunny population, I did notice several "kill sites" with evidence of blood and white fur. I do hope none of them have moved into one of the cabins.
Enjoy The Video It Is Shorter Than This Posting.






3 comments:

Stan Harrington said...

If anyone is wondering what that log is doing in the middle of the ice skating rink at the HITW. As I was making a "push" of snow, I happened to look in the drivers rear view mirror which I have not had the luxury of having since last summer. However, it did appear in my windshield rear view mirror, now why I was looking in that I have no concept since I know no one was behind me. Upon seeing it, I had to stop to investigate where it came from. It appeared to be an old tree that was possibly used in a landscaping project. I back tracked to the last spot I had pushed from, the tree was likely in that spot at one time. If not, it is now.

Heidi said...

It looks so peaceful down there.

Mom said she was going to make turkey noodle soup when she got home... and I noticed that you are still eating turkey sandwiches.... I could be wrong...but think I should say something... I would hate to see you sick...

it is not safe to let a turkey sit out for lengthy periods of time. In fact if the turkey leftovers sit out for more than two hours, including stuffing baked in a turkey, these should be discarded. Leaving the turkey out can mean the turkey will start to accumulate salmonella bacteria, and eating leftover turkey that has not been stored properly can make one very sick.

Generally cooked leftover turkey is safe to eat for two days after the day the turkey has been cooked. Afterwards, any leftover turkey should be thrown out. One can also freeze turkey leftovers for up to four months. If one plans to freeze turkey leftovers, this should be done immediately, not two days after the turkey has been cooked.

Further, food safety is required if one intends to reheat leftover turkey. Generally the same rule as to cooking a fresh turkey applies to reheating. Leftover turkey should be reheated to at least 165 degrees F (73.89 degrees C). Some suggest that reheating turkey is done best in the microwave, because the meat quickly reaches this temperature without losing moisture.

As the leftover turkey reheats, it can start to regrow salmonella bacteria. So serving only slightly warmed turkey can potentially mean serving up an unhealthy dose of food poisoning. Thus as much care should be taken when reheating turkey. Most food safety experts also suggest only reheating the turkey once.

Stan Harrington said...

Wow, I did not know that but it is sure good ~ feel fine and I did not see any salmon on it, although I did open up a can of smoked salmon for a snack last night. Does same rule apply to "fudge, I still have about ten pounds of that remaining. Just one slice of pumpkin pie remaining and two mincemeat (now that is where some of that salmon stuff could be hiding). You are right, it is so quiet and peaceful at the HITW. Did not start a fire yesterday, but I am not ruling it out for the next day or so.

Post a Comment