2008-04-14

Spent the day working on cabin designs that can be built economically with materials that are available. We seem to have a good supply of "dimensional lumber" each season. It is likely we have burned up at least a half dozen cabins in our fire pit. A few nails, box of sheet rock screws, a little plastic for windows and we can build our own rustic door to fit the decor of the cabin. total cost in materials $39.63.
The cabin below is my personal choice. It is also made of "dimensional lumber" and constructed on a high piling foundation. We can gain access to enough spruce bark beetle killed trees to provide the foundation. The thing I like about this design is that it can be built on the hillside surrounding the bowl. This will provide better drainage and allow the full area of the bowl for our recreational area. Estimated cost of this particular construction is also less, my data indicates that it would cost approximately .12 cents a square foot or $23.04.
If someone could check with our resident contractor and get a quote on the time that it would take to build a half dozen of these rustic recreational cabins. My data indicates that if all of the material was on site with a crew of six, three units could be built in a weekend give or take a unit or two. My data was somewhat vague.

7 comments:

john r mclay said...

Oh. NOW it's time to save dimensional lumber. I would've had a cabin already if my good wood hadn't been all burned up. At that cost, we could build a shower house, too.

Heidi said...

Could you imagine camping i a cabin? My family may need something a little bigger... I will start looking for dunage!

Stan Harrington said...

That is the concept of the cabin on the piling foundation, the foundation could always be enclosed with blue tarps for the kids to sleep ~ if the supply of dimensional lumber is available, then it could be enclosed with real wood walls.

RangerBill574 said...

And a deck to sit on your rocker upon-kick a pig, bake biscuits and
read the good book. Oh yeah and keep an eye out for Blue Duck

Stan Harrington said...

That deck is a perfect spot to sit and clean your gun at night, which is not a bad idea when I think of the number of very beautiful grand daughters that I have, sooner or later their hideout is going to be discovered, I guess that is when I will change my name to Stan "Ten" Harrington.

Heidi said...

A cabin, would be so nice... I would even buy a gun! just so I could clean it on the porch.

Stan Harrington said...

NEWS FLASH, FLASH! FLASH! FLASH! FLASH! (sorry I do not have graphics to make NEWS FLASH flash so I had to improvise) The south slope of the gazebo is now clear of all white stuff. North, East and West is still encrusted with 14 - 18 inches of frozen white stuff. The sun must have some warmth, although I have yet to feel it.

Post a Comment