2009-04-20

Day +32 To "M" Day

Thirty-two days to the "M" Day (Beginning of Memorial Day Weekend). The de-waterization project is working amazingly good. During the night, the pump caught up once again with the inflow and had to be shut down this morning for a period to gather more water. It is having a very positive effect on the drainage and drying of the area. Bear Creek and John's Glacier is each flowing about the same amount of water. The small rock wall that I built along Bear Creek is very effective and forcing the water into the pit. And, you all thought I was wasting my time by playing in the mud and making a rock wall. Love the fire hose, makes it so much easier to rig.

Day +32 consisted of monitoring the "controlled flooding"
It is going to take at least two days of work to finish the "water collection pit" project. Going to be a lot of shovel work to clean up the erosion that has occurred, square the walls of the pit for preparation for the cofferdam. Once the cofferdam is built and installed, will need to back fill the inside of the walls and build the deck over the top. Will secure the trap door that will access the pit and the pump so little ones can't use it for a hiding place. Be a great place for Arnie to sit and watch what is going on under the gazebo and listen to the exploding firewood.

And, of course there was two truck loads of slabs stacked up to be cut. The only snow remaining in the parking area lies underneath the slab pile so it was a priority to cut them up. I am sorry, I know how all of you wanted to help cut firewood this year. Woodman Bill is loading another trailer for delivery. The "little lady" and I should have the reminder of the wood cut and stacked by Day +31.

In my last posting, I admitted I had made an error. Quite uncommon for me to make an error but I reported, despite my prediction, the river broke out without flooding. I judged this from the bridge. Tonight, I went down river and discovered where all the ice went. I knew I did not make a mistake!

This picture is looking upstream from the Picnic Hole. Ice jammed in tight all the way to the top of Gus's Run. Water level is to the top of the bank at the Picnic Hole, remember, that is the Hole where I caught that 16.5 Pound Silver Salmon. I don't know if I ever told you the story about that big fish.

Looking downstream from the Picnic Hole into the corner at the top of the Dudas Hole. As best I could tell in the dusk, it appears the jam, goes around the corner and into the Dudas Hole. How much of that is jammed up, I do not know since I was not about to walk down there in the dusk. Saw a brown bear in this area once.

3 comments:

Stan Harrington said...

I had a pleasant surprise, if you notice in the first ice jam picture, the log that Shane and I always stopped and sat on to rest, is still holding in place.

john r mclay said...

Chicken! There ARE no bears on the peninsula!

Heidi said...

It looks like there is a lot of water coming from the glacier! Is my den still standing?

Post a Comment