2007-07-14

HITW Update, Again

Had a small set back in the construction phase of the HITW Gazebo, I have lost the construction trailer that I was going to utilize to haul and store my tools, someone came along and decided they needed it worst than I did. The bad thing about it is that Ranger Bill also lost his travel trailer.

Day 1: However, I was able to put Plan "B" in affect. Spent a couple of hours sorting through sticks and parts at Home Depot on Friday. According to my plans I have enough to complete the job - but knowing my carpentry skills several more trips to SBS, Home Depot, and Anchor Point Hardware will more than likely be required.

Day 2: Little Bull Moose and I got an early start, I have to give the boy credit, he is a great helper in between play periods, but he was always there to help out when I called him in from play. Quite a feat to get 2" x 6" x 12' headers up in the air 9'3" by yourself. Considering filing a claim against the crew that installed the foundation and I never want to hear a word about "slapping a 90". North side of foundation 12' 2.5"; South side of foundation 12' 1"; West side of foundation 11' 9"; East side of foundation 11' 10.5". Now I do not care how you figure it, you cannot covert that into a square. The blueprints had to be modified slightly, (1st Change Order) to accommodate the new un-square foundation. However, no adjustments had to be made to the height, the sonar tubes were perfectly level, if I remember right, someone showed up with a laser level and sighted those in. The framing was accomplished today and all the headers installed. Tomorrows project will include the interior framing of the interior support in preparation for the rafters and roof. Pictures to follow, if I remember the camera.

To insure that it meets code for an interior fireplace, the computation indicates that no fire should exceed six (6) feet in height from ground level with five (5) feet being the safety maximum. Weather was ideal for construction, short sleeve shirt, dry and hot. Weather outlook for Day 3 is similar. It is great to work on a site that has a stove and coffee pot. A great place to work.

2 comments:

john r mclay said...

I should hope (due to the fact the earth moves (constantly) in the pit) that proper care was taken to utilize the brackets - carefully secured by Eagle master (appointed with gorilla glue) - to compensate for the truck-drivin', slapped, 90's involved in the 5.5 inches of variable to the blind construction project. Only the Grand Pastan, I'm thinking, could provide clarity and squarity in the matter.

RangerBill said...

yeah, what he said

Post a Comment