2007-07-13

Vern Harrington Silver Salmon Derby



This is an official announcement that the 3rd Annual Vern Harrington Silver Salmon Derby will be held on August 11th and 12th this year. As you all know, in the past dad and I would catch a limit of Silver Salmon on his birthday, pose for a picture and in time it became known as the "Birthday Catch". The birthday catch on the left was caught in 1962, just prior to starting my Senior Year in High School. Dad was 49, just thirteen years younger than I am now. Where did the years go?

The first derby was won by the Bear Clan with a Silver that tipped the scales at six pounds. Last year's winner was humbly accepted by the Eagle Clan for his Silver that tipped the scale at 15.5 pounds. I have had a vision, silver streaks across the northern skis representing Silver Salmon running with my line.

To commemorate this vision, I have arranged a special, educational treat to entertain all. "The annual Perseid meteor shower is expected to put on a great show this year." "The Moon will be out of the way, leaving dark skis for good viewing as Earth plunges through an ancient stream of comet debris". The folks at NASA Meteoroid Office at Marshall Space Center says it is "going to be a great show".

To see the show, one need only to find a comfortable spot, away from city lights and a clear view of the northeastern skis. A dark rural location is best according to the space center and those on the western seaboard will have the best observation opportunity. These little rascals are going to be traveling at the rate of 133,200 mph as they slam into our atmosphere. Again, according to the folks from NASA, the best observation time will be the late night of August 12th through the dawn of August 13th.

Is that or is that not a great vision? I know all of you have felt that I have lost my power, but good vision's are hard to come up with, they develop through time. As a side line to this vision, I had a short second vision of me once again holding this giant Silver Salmon as little stars twinkled around me, it was a good vision.

2 comments:

john r mclay said...

I hope to be able to be there for the derby this year. Then we shall see about that 15 lb fish from '06 that looked like a 5 lb humpy in the picture.

RangerBill said...

Wow, Dad was younger than I am now

Post a Comment