2007-03-30

Zip Line Solution

The last two mornings, I have been able to sit on my back porch, overlooking the HITWRA and enjoy a "cup" of freshly brewed coffee without the need of wearing my parka. The birds are beginning to sing, a smell of spring is in the air as I overlook the river valley and
contemplate my thoughts. While observing my surroundings this day, I came to realize that there is a easy solution for the "Zip Line" that the Alpha Wolf has been wanting to establish for entertainment purposes. It took a little calculation on my "slide ruler", but I think the calculations are relatively correct. We really should verify these numbers with some of the electronic devices such as GPS to insure the line of sight and calculations are correct. In the distant from bluff surrounding the HITW, a new Cell Tower extends skyward to an elevation in excess of 200 feet altitude. It is in a direct line of sight with the Hole In the Wall or even to my backyard. My calculations show that it is located approximately .96 miles from the HITW at an elevation of 231.6 feet. The same calculations show that the bluff line of the HITW is 97.8 feet.
Obstructions include the electric utility lines and several business buildings in "downtown" Anchor Point, however, these lines are located in the immediate location of the "Cell Tower" so clearance over these lines should be no obstacle. The "Zip Line" will cross the Sterling Highway at perpendicular angle at an elevation high enough it should not obstruct any traffic pattern. The only remaining obstruction is the roof top of the Anchor River Inn, however, my calculations show that you should clear the peak of the roof by a minimum of 75 feet. From that point, it is a clear ride, across the river valley and into the HITW. Papa Bear has had allot of experience in calculating and installing overhead power lines so running this length of cable should be relatively simple and require only one spool of wire. Access to the top of the "Cell Tower" has been provided by the contractor, a ladder the full length of the tower has been installed. In two nights work, this rig could be installed and ready for an alternative transportation mode from downtown Anchor Point to the Hole In The Wall.

7 comments:

RangerBill574 said...

I am surrounded by so many Beaver options I dont know what to do

RangerBill574 said...

Can we change our last name to Beaver. I knew some people in Grand Junction by that name. Wendy Beaver as I recall. Willy Beaver? Just like that old tv show-the Beaver.

Stan Harrington said...

I talked to Papa Bear tonight, he suggested that we should do a weight load test onrthe zip line before we have anyone use it, we need the heaviest load that we can find to test the system for the time - how much do you weigh now? that pictrure was actually taken in Beaver County, Oklahoma. I thought that was quite unique!

john r mclay said...

The engineer always has the first ride. It sounds as if you have done the math, and the zip line can be constructed safely. What speeds has the new, happy, fun toy been estimated to achieve? Can we drop into the glacier at the bottom?

Heidi said...

Okay...you boys maim my husband, so that he cannot work, means you have to support me the rest of my life.

Stan Harrington said...

Did a quick calculation on the proposed system, but my data does have a + / - error of 23.5 mph. Based on the calculations,the estimated speed when passing over the roof of the Anchor River Inn will be 58.3 mph (+ / -) the error factor. Landing speed will need to be adjusted as it calculates out at 34.6 mph but perhaps a chute can be deployed to slow down the speed while descending. As for the glacier, perhaps it can be arranged at the glacier, however it is slightly off course. Currently the landing zone is in the area of the center of the pit, if we have enough elevation to clear the northern bluff the alternate site will be the sand pile. To releive the she wolf of any stress, it will be mandantory that all riders wear a foot ball helmet or their ball cap on backwards to protect them from whip lash.

Shana said...

I'll ride first!!!! Wait dont listen to her...she is the one that got us knocked up at 15...we will try your new device when a cable car with rails has safely been installed...hey dont listen to her...she is a nilly....I will ride first!!!

Post a Comment