2008-05-12

Old and New News From HITW





















Ranger Wild Bill called me on Monday to let me know he had just bought a tractor for "Lonesome Duck Ranch". A small walk behind tractor with a blade on the front. From his description, it sounded like something that we could use at the HITW and in a garage sale, he had paid $75.00 for it. Wanting to check on their availability and "new" prices, I decided to research it tonight on the web. Much to my surprise, the "Mighty Man" has not been built in years and considered as a very good find among tractor collectors. The picture at the top shows a "Mighty Man" pulling a modern truck in 1949 as a demonstration of it's power. The smaller picture is the "Mighty Man" with the optional "riding seat attachment" pulling a wagon full of cabbage. Now, if you are thinking of calling "Wild Bill" and offering him double his money for his tractor, he is now aware of it's value. I could not resist telling him the good news this morning at 2:00 a.m., his time. He does not wake up well, even with good news.
Current HITW News. Light rain in the area but the water line continues to recede, should be ready to move in and start some work projects by this weekend. If you are planning on going fishing this opening weekend, you may want to re-consider. The lower river is near flood stage and the upper river is out of it's banks in several locations. Current coloration is between mud and muddier. Heard the distinct call of "Butch" or "Sundance" in the HITW this morning, perhaps it is time to go buy some peanuts for them and some alfalfa pellets for hippy hops that are now classified as endangered species at the HITW. That had best be chicken breasts that show up on the barbecue!
Found, actually I borrowed, but going to buy myself one, a new tool today. Most likely you folks that are mechanically inclined have seen them or even have one, I had never saw one. Have you ever had to nail in an area where you can not get a whack at the nail with a hammer, a screw gun is to big to fit and a hand held stapler will not penetrate. Well, I ran into the problem today while installing my sheeting on my roof, up under the eaves of the house it is impossible to get a nail set. I finally concluded that I would just gorilla glue it and figure up later how I would attach the asphalt shingles. Happened to run into "Bill the Woodman" and I told him of my problem. He invited me over to pick up and use his palm gun! Ain't never heard of nuttin like that, but it is just a little larger than a computer mouse, fits into you palm, center it over the nail and press down and the nail disappears into the board under 100 pounds of air pressure. My roof will be done tomorrow! Takes so little to make me happy these days, but I will be happier when I see one of these in my tool shed!

6 comments:

Stan Harrington said...

Da Bears are now back on line and posting - must be spring!

john r mclay said...

Good B'day present request. I have seen one of them fancy palm nailers but, as a plumber, would never have thought of it.
The mighty tractor - in the first shot - is towing a truck that looks like one my Grandpa has on his property. I think Woody wants to recondition it.


ps
they don't even TASTE like chicken!

Shana said...

That tractor is neat...No bunny on the fire!...as father I hate to break it to you...you are feeding an army of squirrels and I bet this year they have recruits...ever seen The Birds...by Steven King...we will not longer be afraid of Arney!

Stan Harrington said...

I have to wonder if the old truck at Jake's place is possibly the one that Tad and Don brought over the Alcan Highway with a load of mules in the 1950's? It looked very similar to the one in the picture, International, I think?

john r mclay said...

International - yes. I'll have to ask him.

RangerBill574 said...

My walkbehind tractor has a snow plow blade on the front perfect for snow removal or spreading gravel around HITW. Don built his loading chute precisely at right size so unloading was easy. My mechanical mule can be delivered to any HITW buyer at any offer of $2500 or better(that is cash)

Post a Comment