2007-04-26

Briefing



I made two trips into the HITW today, one early this morning and the second one when I finished work at 7:30. Did not drive all the way in, did not want to disturb the bowl area and the condition that it is currently in. It is looking good, much better than one year ago at this time. Walking around, had a little flood damage to the floor of the "Duck House" but nothing serious. The only problem and it is short term is that the depository unit filled up with water and is now frozen. Once I remove the tarp from the roof, the skylights will take care of that problem and it should drain just fine due to the sand and gravel composition.

As I entered the area, I did notice two magpies sitting very close to one another on the "sand hill" so I walked over to where their nest is at and they both immediately flew into the trees above me. One of them had a gleam in their eye so I am assuming he was the male and perhaps he thinks he is going to get lucky and raise another hatch in their home. We are going to have to call in some expert zoologists to move "Kroc" to the lower lake. Unlike last year, he is out of water! That area is dry, the only resemblance to the "Kroc Pond" is the landscaped rock pond that Mama Moose installed last summer. It is full of water, but hardly enough room for a respectable "Kroc". The "Kroc Pond" may recover once the Buffalo Clan move in and start draining their septic tank. Without the "Kroc" pond, the zoo may also need to be re-located, however, all of the animals appear to have remained in the area.

Due to the low area behind the cook tent, that is full of water but draining slowly and with a little time, I can trench that out. The gravel base that everyone worked on has remained intact, the second year in a row so perhaps typar and washed gravel is the answer to the problem.

Two mysteries remain, I covered all of the rigs prior to the onslaught of winter. They remain covered with the lone exception of the Bear Den, his tarp is missing. Now I wonder, besides myself, Butch and Heather there has only been one other person into the HITW this past winter. That being Papa Bear when he was so kind as to shovel off all of the roofs from the snow load. Now do you suppose, I could find my "new" blue tarp somewhere, like Bear Ridge, the winter home of the Bear Clan?

The second mystery, which if you recall I asked all of you to try to solve last fall. That mystery has still not been resolved, I just wonder who would do such a dastardly deed. The crime scene remains untouched since last fall. Although, a little more gross! I did not check on "Mr. Mouse" or "Sneaky Snake", I am sure all of you have been concerned about their welfare through the winter. However, I did notice that "Arnie" must have rested at peace all winter, his headstone is standing tall and proud. Most likely waiting for the little girls to move into camp before he once again starts to stir. You are going to have to hurry to take advantage of the "Sundance Glacier", like all glaciers it is receding rapidly. Currently it is about one third the size it was last year with bare ground on both sides of giving it additional warmth to melt, I doubt that it will survive to Memorial Week. Damm, Global Warming!!!!!!!! "Wild Bill" the woodman has a trailer load of slabs ready to move in as soon as I tell him it is dry enough, he reminded me that Donny had not paid for the last load he ordered. Perhaps, the other Bill will be here in time that he can be put in charge of "bucking up the wood". That completes my daily report for today, have a good day and good luck tomorrow.

1 comments:

john r mclay said...

Sound as if global warming has taken it's toll on our beer cooler/glacier. Too bad S.O.G. funds were not adequate to keep our pristine ice field in a frozen state for viewing. I was counting on the parking and hiking fees collected to pay for advanced development of the parking area. Did you AT LEAST find the time to build the "ice house" for a walk-in cooler? Exactly WHAT have you been doing all winter?

Post a Comment